Originally a motte and bailey castle which was built c.1140 by Bertram de Bulmer,
Sheriff of York during the reign of King Stephen.
On the death of Bertram in 1166, the property passed to the Neville family through marriage.
On the 26th April 1382, John, Lord Neville, Knight of the Garter, was granted a licence to crenelate an existing manor house situated near the old timber castle.
The architect Lord Neville chose for his new stone castle was none other than John Lewyn who had already made a great reputation as a castle builder/designer in the north of England. It is generally accepted that he was in charge of this work and it was his design. Interestingly, John Lewyn’s other
work at Bolton and at Raby where of similar design.
In 1425 the Neville estates were partitioned and Richard Neville (the King-maker) inherited Sheriff Hutton. On his death, at the Battle of Barnet in 1471, his lands were then given to Richard, Duke of Gloucester later
to become King Richard III.
After the Battle of Bosworth and the death of Richard in 1485, the Wars of the Roses was effectively at an end and the castle became the property of King Henry VII.
The castle, in 1525, was granted to the King’s son, Henry fitzRoy who had been created Duke of Richmond. The castle at this time was described as in a ruinous state. In 1537, Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk made repairs but by the end of the 16th century, the castle was in decline and its final demise was when the property was acquired by the Ingram family in 1622. The stone castle then became a source of building material for the construction of nearby Sheriff Hutton House.
The castle is now owned by Sheriff Hutton Estates and access to the castle is by prior arrangement only.
English &Welsh Castle Picture Search Results
Your Search returned 6 pictures.
Click on a picture to enlarge and order