According to the castle’s history web page, the castle is believed to be standing on the site of a Roman fort.
The lands were granted to Alan de Penitone in 1208 and about 1258 Gamel de Muncaster,
it seems, built the first castle here.
Sir John Pennington in 1464 gave shelter to King Henry VI who was seen
wandering after the Battle of Hexham.
1783, John, Lord Muncaster made considerable repairs and constructed a tower known as Chapels to commemorate the place where the King was found.
In 1862 Gamel Augustus, fourth Lord Muncaster instructed the great Victorian architect, Anthony Salvin to remodel the castle by adding the north west tower and covered the courtyard and converted it into the present Drawing Room with its much admired barrel ceiling.
After 800 years the castle/stately home is still owned by the Pennington family and is open to the public.
English &Welsh Castle Picture Search Results
Your Search returned 2 pictures.
Click on a picture to enlarge and order