Sir Simon Pakeman, knight of the Shire at Parliament, owned this manor house in the 13th century.
The property changed hands many times and through marriage it eventually passed to William Hastings. In 1461 he was appointed Lord Chamberlain and Baron of Hastings.
A licence to crenelate was obtained c.1474 from his friend, King Edward IV. William employed the master mason John Cowper to alter the fabric of the old house to turn it into a fortified manor house. John was paid eight pence a day to oversee the stone work as opposed to the brick-maker in charge, Anthony Docheman, who was only paid ten pence per week.
After the death of Edward IV in 1483 William’s fortunes eventually came to an abrupt end, when King Richard III accused William of conspiring against his life. He was summarily executed.
Work on the castle came to a halt and was never completed.
English &Welsh Castle Picture Search Results
Your Search returned 2 pictures.
Click on a picture to enlarge and order