This rocky, windswept prominence overlooking the North Sea, was crowned at one time by a Saxon burh.
The first recorded constructions were in 1313 when Thomas Earl of Lancaster contracted Elias the master mason to build the ‘Bows’ of the gatehouse to a height of 80ft. with towers above, either side of the gateway. A license to crenellate was granted on 21st August 1316.
The structural work on the castle was completed by about this time.
In October 1380 John Lewyn, the noted northern military master mason and architect,
was contracted to design and modernise the gatehouse and make new ‘mantelette’ of freestone.
Work continued on this castle up to about 1459 when damage was done to its fabric during the ‘Wars of the Roses’ but this damage was never made good.
A report of 1538 recorded, “a very reuynus howsse and of smalle strength”.
Today the castle is owned by the ‘National Trust’ and in the care of ‘English Heritage’.
English &Welsh Castle Picture Search Results
Your Search returned 5 pictures.
Click on a picture to enlarge and order